Textbooks with discount
As a student you never have enough money, so we offer discounts on textbooks up to 18%! The book sales will be held in the first weeks of every semester. We sell books for all courses of the bachelor program of Communication Science. You will find your booklist in the course catalogue. Fill in which course you are going to follow. Under the heading ‘student materials’ you will find the titles of the required textbooks.
To buy your books with a discount, you must be a member of Mercurius. If you are already a member of Mercurius, you can purchase your textbooks via this link. You can become a member via our website or during ordering your books. All textbooks are listed by year and by course. When your order is completed, you will receive an email with the date on which you can pick up your books. The pick-up point will be at the Athenaeum Bookstore near the Roeterseilandcampus (located at Roetersstraat 41). In cooperation with Athenaeum, Mercurius will make sure you always have the right books for a reduced prize. Follow the instructions below to order your books with discount.
The book sale starts on January 10 and ends on January 28, 23:59! Make sure that you order your books on time!
1. Visit the Athenaeum webshop. Use this link!
2. There are four options. Select the following options: Mercurius – BA Communicatiewetenschap (NL) or BA Communication Science (EN) – Jaar (Year) – Semester 1 or 2.
3. Select the books that are required in your year. Select these books and press ‘Bestellen/Reserveren | Order’.
4. You can get discount when you order your books trough Mercurius. The only thing you need to do then, is become a member from our association. You can become a member by selecting below ‘optional course’ the fee you want to pay for 1 year (1 jaar), 3 years (3 jaar) or 4 years (4 jaar). If you select one of those options, dependent on how long you would like to be a member, you will be a member and get automatically discount. If you are already a member, press ‘Ik ben lid van deze vereniging en heb de kosten die ermee verbonden zijn betaald. | I am a member of this association and have already paid the fees associated with it.’
5. Press ‘Ga naar de winkelwagen | Go to shopping cart’.
6. Enter your data to register.
7. You can only choose the option to pick up your books in the Athenaeum Bookstore Roeterseilandcampus.
8. Choose your payment method. It is not possible to pay in the store.
9. After your payment, you will receive a confirmation. In this confirmation you will find more information about when, where and how late you can pick up your books. You can also follow us on Facebook for the latest updates of the book sales.
Which books do you need?
Underneath, you can see per course which book is mandatory:
Corporate Communication — Cornelissen, J. (2008). Corporate communication: A guide to theory and practice. Los Angeles: SAGE. (5th ed.)
Media Landscape — Sheets Thibaut, P. (2019). Understanding the Media Landscape. (custom made book)
Philosophy of Science and Methodology — Dooremalen, A. J. P. W., de Regt, H. C. D. G., & Schouten, M. (2007). Exploring humans: An introduction to the philosophy of the social sciences. Amsterdam: Boom.
Research Workshop: Content Analysis — Riffe, D., Lacy, S., Fico, F., & Watson, B. R. (2019). Analyzing Media Messages: Using Quantitative Content Analysis in Research (4de editie). Routledge.
Year 2 / 3
Depending on the courses you’re taking, you might need one of the following books:
Qualitative Research — Braun, V., & Clarke, V. (2013). Successful Qualitative Research: A Practical Guide for Beginners. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
Research Workshop: Experiment — Forzano, L. B., & Gravetter, F. J. Custom Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences.
Communication Ethics — Plaisance, P. L. (2013). Media Ethics: Key Principles for Responsible Practice. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
Topic: Content Marketing — Peelen, E., Jacobs, H., & van Oers, A. (2019). Scaling up Content Marketing. Amsterdam: Lenthe Publishers BV.
Do you have a question about the book sales? Please contact us by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
Disclaimer: Teachers always have the right to change the required books after they had contact with us.